Just over 11 years after its original release, we are again celebrating The Sophtware Slump. This time it’s as the expanded Deluxe Edition which has been released today. The original album remains untouched in all its glory. We’ve also taken the time to collect a lot of other sounds from the period and included them in the hope of giving a clearer picture of that moment in time. Dig in to check out the original intro to “He’s Simple, He’s Dumb, He’s the Pilot” (called “Discarded Pilot Intro” here) as well as the original demos for “Chartsengrafs,” “Beautiful Ground,” and “Hewlett’s Daughter.” The Bsides are there as well along with an expanded version of the booklet with writings from Jason and Jim and some unseen photos from back in the day. Scroll down to the bottom of this email to check out the full tracklisting.
You can get all of this digitally via iTunes worldwide. Here’s the link to buy it in the US. In Europe, you can also grab an actual double disc CD in a nice digipak. You can order that via Amazon here. This physical package is not going to be released in the US so if you want it you’ll have to pay the import prices. Sorry about that! It’s unfortunately just one of those things.
Also, on October 3rd, Europe will get a new double vinyl version of the record. You can check out the tracklisting for that and pre-order it here.
On Tuesday August 23rd (tomorrow) at 1pm London time, Jason will be on BBC6 with Radcliffe & Maconie and to discuss the reissue. You can listen live here.
The Sophtware Slum (Deluxe Edition)
1. He’s Simple, He’s Dumb, He’s The Pilot
2. Hewlett’s Daughter
3. Jed The Humanoid
4. The Crystal Lake
6. Underneath The Weeping Willow
7. Broken Household Appliance National Forest
8. Jed’s Other Poem (Beautiful Ground)
9. E. Knievel Interlude (The Perils Of Keeping It Real)
10. Miner At The Dial-A-View
11. So You’ll Aim Toward The Sky
1. Discard Pilot Intro
2. Our Dying Brains
4. Wives of Farmers
5. Chartsengrafs (original demo)
6. N. Blender
7. Wonder Why In L.A.
8. Air Conditioners in the Woods
9. Moe Bandy Mountaineers
10. First Movement / Message Send
12. Beautiful Ground (original cassette tape demo)
13. Street Bunny
15. What Can’t Be Erased (Drinking Beer in the Bank of America with Two Chicks from Tempe Arizona)
16. I Don’t Want To Record Anymore
17. Aisle Seat 37-D
18. Hewlett’s Daughter (original cassette tape demo)
19. Rode My Bike To My Stepsister’s Wedding